Safety and efficacy of doxorubicin-eluting superabsorbent polymer microspheres for the treatment of liver metastases from neuroendocrine tumours: preliminary results.

Bonne L, Verslype C, Laenen A et al.

Department of Radiology, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium.

Radiology and oncology. Mar 2017.

The aim of the study was to retrospectively evaluate the symptom control, tumour response, and complication rate in patients with liver-predominant metastatic neuroendocrine tumours treated with transarterial chemoembolization using doxorubicin-eluting superabsorbent polymer (SAP) microspheres.Patients with neuroendocrine liver metastases who underwent hepatic transarterial chemoembolization using doxorubicin-eluting SAP-microspheres (50-100 μm Hepasphere/Quadrasphere Microsphere® particles, Merit Medical, South Jordan, Utah, USA) were included in this study. Pre-and post-procedure imaging studies were evaluated to assess short and intermediate-term tumour response using modified RECIST criteria. Symptom relief and procedure-related complications were evaluated.A total of 27 embolization procedures were performed on 17 patients. Twelve of 17 patients (70%) were symptomatic, including carcinoid syndrome (n = 8) and severe, uncontrollable hypoglycemia (n = 4). Eight of 12 patients (67%) had complete symptom relief, and the remaining 4 (33%) had partial relief. One patient developed ischemic cholecystitis (6%). No other hepatobiliary complications occurred. Short-term and intermediate-term imaging follow-up was available for 15/17 patients (88%) and 12/14 patients (86%) respectively. At short-term follow-up (< 3 months), 14 patients (93%) showed partial response and the remaining patient had progressive disease (7%). At intermediate-term imaging follow-up (> 3 months), partial response, stable disease and progressive disease were found respectively in 7 (58%), 3 (25%) and 2 (17%) patients.Chemoembolization with doxorubicin-eluting SAP-microspheres is a safe and effective treatment option for neuroendocrine liver metastases and is associated with a low complication rate. In particular, no clinically evident liver necrosis or bile duct complications were encountered.